John Thomas Rader

John Thomas Rader

John Thomas Rader, 73, passed away at his home in Saginaw, Minnesota, on Oct. 31, 2022. He was born at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey on Jan. 18, 1949, to the late Col. Thomas Owen Rader, USAF, RET., and M. Donise Stroth Rader. He graduated from Bellevue High School in 1967 and Bellevue University, both in Bellevue, Nebraska.

He was a U.S. Air Force-ANGUS veteran from 1973 until 1980, having served with the Alaska International Guard, serving as a Tactical Airlift Pilot for five years, and four months with the 773 Tactical Airlift Squadron, attaining the rank of Captain. He began his teaching career in August of 1997 with the Wellston City Schools as a 7th and 8th grade science teacher. He retired from that position in 2010. He assisted in managing his family’s Christmas tree farm in Wellston before deciding to move to Saginaw to be in touch with the great outdoors.

Besides his parents, he was preceded in death in 2012 by his brother, Steven Douglas Rader.

He is survived by his sister and brother-in-law, Linda and Jim Branson of Medina, Ohio; a niece, Jamie (Matt) Harding of Medina and their children, great niece Lia Harding and great nephew Branson Harding; a nephew, Sean M. (Jessica) Rader of Greeley, Colorado, and their child, great nephew Cohen Rader; and many cousins.

Private burial will be in the Ridgewood Cemetery in Wellston at a later date.

Arrangements are by the Jenkins Funeral Chapel of Wellston, Ohio.

5 responses to “John Thomas Rader”

  1. Peg Bell Barber says:

    Linda, I’m so sorry to hear of John Passing. I have many fond memories from childhood days of all 3 of you, when you came for the summer to your grandparents home Dorothy and Fitz.
    Grew up across the street, one if the Bell crew.
    Special thoughts and prayers for you and your family .

  2. Dan Brooks says:

    JT flew as my copilot for several years in the 17th Tactical Airlift Squadron at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage Alaska during the early 1970’s. He was a great guy and a good pilot of the C-130’s. I have good memories of him and I’m sad to hear of his passing. Dan Brooks

  3. We in the USAF and flying community were shocked and saddened at news of JT’s passing. John and I arrived as 2nd Lt’s at the 17th Tac Airlift SQ in Anchorage, AK in Summer of ‘75. He and I attended Undergraduate Pilot Training at Craig AFB, Al and graduated within a month from each other. Over the three year period in AK, we hunted , flew, fished and kayaked together , all while we were roomed at the Batchelor Officer’s Quarters (Nurse’s Dorm). Many great parties were had there ! He and I thoroughly enjoyed flying with the 17th TAS “Firebirds” and the great people there. Over the years in later separate commercial flying careers, we kept in touch and stayed abreast of AF and flying matters.

    I flew down from Anchorage and visited him in Duluth a few times over the years and we caught up on things. When I visited him we would go to his favorite restaurants and go on short walks in the woods of Upper MN . He was at peace with the land there, though his heart was in AK……As you may know, he unfortunately had many medical issues he dealt with these last 5 years or so. I used to text him weekly up until the end of October. May he RIP, he was a good man, friend to many and a fine aviator.

  4. Mike Bradburn says:

    John was a good neighbor, he lived next door to me since he moved to Mn. We watched over each other’s houses and helped each other when we could. When John got sick we talked several times and I watched over his house when he was in the hospital. I’m sorry to hear of his passing. If there’s anything I can do to help please let me know.

  5. So sad to hear of John’s passing 🙁 I got to know John when he decided to move to MN. Very kind man. I started out by helping him find his country home up north in Saginaw, but also became a friend in the process. 🙂 Both of us had a lot in common…I worked for FedEx for about 10 years and he did also. He loved grouse hunting with his German Short-Haired Pointer, which is the same kind of dog that I had for years (though John’s dog was much better trained than mine ever was!). I had the pleasure of hunting with John and his pointer once and his care for his dog was so apparent. He was very careful to make sure that we didn’t over work him!

    I tried reaching out to John this Fall to catch up, actually, but his number wouldn’t let me leave a voicemail for some reason. Then the Holiday Card that I sent him got returned by the post office and I knew something must have happened. 🙁

    Rest in Peace, John. You were a good man.
    So sorry for your loss. If I can help in any way please let me know.

    Warm regards.
    Mike Jorgensen
    [email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *